An early Saturday morning attack in Afghanistan’s Helmand Province targeted the Camp Bastion/Camp Leatherneck base, killing two US Marines and wounding an as-yet-unknown number of other NATO troops.
Officials described the strike as a “sustained attack” on the base with attackers surrounding the base and using both small arms and rocket-propelled grenades against it. Officials say that the attackers breached the outer perimeter of the base.
Who carried out the attack and to what end are both unclear, but British officials say that Prince Harry, who has just recently returned to Afghanistan, was at the base at the time. He was not near the fighting, officials added.
Attacks in the Helmand Province are nothing unusual but an attack at the combined US/British base is, as it is one of the most heavily guarded installations in Afghanistan as well as one of the world’s busiest airports.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Chief Wants Fighters Placed Under National Army - December 14th, 2017
- US Troops, Syrian Rebels Battle ISIS Near Key Base - December 14th, 2017
- US Will Preposition Jet Fuel in Algeria, Niger to Expand Drone Wars - December 14th, 2017
- US Warplanes Fire Warning Flares at Russian Jets Over Syria - December 14th, 2017
- Iran: US Presentation of Iranian Arms in Yemen Fabricated - December 14th, 2017