An early Saturday morning attack in Afghanistan’s Helmand Province targeted the Camp Bastion/Camp Leatherneck base, killing two US Marines and wounding an as-yet-unknown number of other NATO troops.
Officials described the strike as a “sustained attack” on the base with attackers surrounding the base and using both small arms and rocket-propelled grenades against it. Officials say that the attackers breached the outer perimeter of the base.
Who carried out the attack and to what end are both unclear, but British officials say that Prince Harry, who has just recently returned to Afghanistan, was at the base at the time. He was not near the fighting, officials added.
Attacks in the Helmand Province are nothing unusual but an attack at the combined US/British base is, as it is one of the most heavily guarded installations in Afghanistan as well as one of the world’s busiest airports.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018