An early Saturday morning attack in Afghanistan’s Helmand Province targeted the Camp Bastion/Camp Leatherneck base, killing two US Marines and wounding an as-yet-unknown number of other NATO troops.
Officials described the strike as a “sustained attack” on the base with attackers surrounding the base and using both small arms and rocket-propelled grenades against it. Officials say that the attackers breached the outer perimeter of the base.
Who carried out the attack and to what end are both unclear, but British officials say that Prince Harry, who has just recently returned to Afghanistan, was at the base at the time. He was not near the fighting, officials added.
Attacks in the Helmand Province are nothing unusual but an attack at the combined US/British base is, as it is one of the most heavily guarded installations in Afghanistan as well as one of the world’s busiest airports.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Tanks Attack Syrian Army Post Over Errant Mortar Fire - October 19th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Holding Foreign ISIS Leaders - October 19th, 2017
- ISIS Seizes Villages South of Kirkuk as Iraq Focuses on Kurds - October 19th, 2017
- Pentagon Opens Niger Ambush Probe, Seeking Details on What Happened - October 19th, 2017
- State Dept Contradicts Trump on Cuba 'Attack' Accusation - October 19th, 2017