Vows to Track Down Terrorists Responsible for Attack
Speaking to reporters today at the State Department, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton agreed that the attack on the Benghazi Consulate last week was a “terrorist attack,” and promised to see the US track down the “terrorists” responsible.
The statement caps a week of attempting to spin and re-spin Benghazi in different ways, with top officials initially insisting that the attack was a “spontaneous” escalation of a protest carried out to copy an Egyptian rally earlier in the day.
The labeling of the strike as a “terrorist attack” is a relatively recent thing for the Obama Administration, with the comments beginning in the past couple of days after being pushed by Sen. Joe Lieberman (I – CT).
Perhaps the oddest aspect of the change in narrative is that officials continue to insist that they have “no proof” of any of the assorted theories pushed on the attack, and don’t explain why they shifted from the one to the other in the absence of proof.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Canada: 'Radicalized' Driver Kills Soldier in Hit and Run - October 21st, 2014
- Sweden Ready to Use Force Against Mystery Submarine - October 21st, 2014
- ISIS Pushes Back Into Iraq's Northwest, Gains Continue in Anbar - October 21st, 2014
- Overnight Gunbattle With Police Reflects Dangerous Rise of Iraq's Shi'ite Militias - October 21st, 2014
- Kobani Battle Continues as Kurds Await Reinforcements - October 21st, 2014