Vows to Track Down Terrorists Responsible for Attack
Speaking to reporters today at the State Department, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton agreed that the attack on the Benghazi Consulate last week was a “terrorist attack,” and promised to see the US track down the “terrorists” responsible.
The statement caps a week of attempting to spin and re-spin Benghazi in different ways, with top officials initially insisting that the attack was a “spontaneous” escalation of a protest carried out to copy an Egyptian rally earlier in the day.
The labeling of the strike as a “terrorist attack” is a relatively recent thing for the Obama Administration, with the comments beginning in the past couple of days after being pushed by Sen. Joe Lieberman (I – CT).
Perhaps the oddest aspect of the change in narrative is that officials continue to insist that they have “no proof” of any of the assorted theories pushed on the attack, and don’t explain why they shifted from the one to the other in the absence of proof.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Offers Cash Rewards for Foreign Spies - November 25th, 2014
- US to Leave More Troops in Afghanistan in 2015 - November 25th, 2014
- Iran Hardliners Slam Extension of Nuclear Talks, But Khamenei Approves - November 25th, 2014
- Years of Bombings Have Iraq Changing Baghdad Security - November 25th, 2014
- Pentagon Denies US Soldier Was Among Eight Hostages Rescued in Yemen - November 25th, 2014