Vows to Track Down Terrorists Responsible for Attack
Speaking to reporters today at the State Department, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton agreed that the attack on the Benghazi Consulate last week was a “terrorist attack,” and promised to see the US track down the “terrorists” responsible.
The statement caps a week of attempting to spin and re-spin Benghazi in different ways, with top officials initially insisting that the attack was a “spontaneous” escalation of a protest carried out to copy an Egyptian rally earlier in the day.
The labeling of the strike as a “terrorist attack” is a relatively recent thing for the Obama Administration, with the comments beginning in the past couple of days after being pushed by Sen. Joe Lieberman (I – CT).
Perhaps the oddest aspect of the change in narrative is that officials continue to insist that they have “no proof” of any of the assorted theories pushed on the attack, and don’t explain why they shifted from the one to the other in the absence of proof.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US to Send 2,100 Marines to Kuwait for 'Regional Missions' - September 29th, 2014
- Ukraine Ceasefire Tested as Nine Soldiers Killed in Donetsk Clash - September 29th, 2014
- US Killed Syria Civilians After Mistaking Grain Silo for 'Jihadist Base' - September 29th, 2014
- US Expands Syria Strikes: Not Just a War Against ISIS - September 29th, 2014
- Turkish Tanks Sent to Border Near ISIS-Contested Kurdish Town - September 29th, 2014