Vows to Track Down Terrorists Responsible for Attack
Speaking to reporters today at the State Department, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton agreed that the attack on the Benghazi Consulate last week was a “terrorist attack,” and promised to see the US track down the “terrorists” responsible.
The statement caps a week of attempting to spin and re-spin Benghazi in different ways, with top officials initially insisting that the attack was a “spontaneous” escalation of a protest carried out to copy an Egyptian rally earlier in the day.
The labeling of the strike as a “terrorist attack” is a relatively recent thing for the Obama Administration, with the comments beginning in the past couple of days after being pushed by Sen. Joe Lieberman (I – CT).
Perhaps the oddest aspect of the change in narrative is that officials continue to insist that they have “no proof” of any of the assorted theories pushed on the attack, and don’t explain why they shifted from the one to the other in the absence of proof.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US: North Korea Fails Two Missile Tests - April 28th, 2016
- Libya 'Unity Govt' Warns Factions Against Attacking ISIS City of Sirte - April 28th, 2016
- Over 70 Reported Killed in Fighting Over North Syria Villages - April 28th, 2016
- Joint Chiefs Chairman Admits: US Troops in Iraq in Combat Operations - April 28th, 2016
- UN Envoy: Attack on Aleppo Hospital 'Deliberate' - April 28th, 2016