Vows to Track Down Terrorists Responsible for Attack
Speaking to reporters today at the State Department, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton agreed that the attack on the Benghazi Consulate last week was a “terrorist attack,” and promised to see the US track down the “terrorists” responsible.
The statement caps a week of attempting to spin and re-spin Benghazi in different ways, with top officials initially insisting that the attack was a “spontaneous” escalation of a protest carried out to copy an Egyptian rally earlier in the day.
The labeling of the strike as a “terrorist attack” is a relatively recent thing for the Obama Administration, with the comments beginning in the past couple of days after being pushed by Sen. Joe Lieberman (I – CT).
Perhaps the oddest aspect of the change in narrative is that officials continue to insist that they have “no proof” of any of the assorted theories pushed on the attack, and don’t explain why they shifted from the one to the other in the absence of proof.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- North, South Korea Make Tit-for-Tat Moves at Kaesong Industrial Zone - February 11th, 2016
- Russia: US Warplanes Bombed Aleppo Hospitals, Not Russians - February 11th, 2016
- CIA Director: ISIS Has Used Chemical Weapons, Can Make More - February 11th, 2016
- NATO Sends Warships to Try to Keep Refugees Out of Europe - February 11th, 2016
- Saudis Confirm Plans to Send Ground Troops to Syria - February 11th, 2016