Vows to Track Down Terrorists Responsible for Attack
Speaking to reporters today at the State Department, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton agreed that the attack on the Benghazi Consulate last week was a “terrorist attack,” and promised to see the US track down the “terrorists” responsible.
The statement caps a week of attempting to spin and re-spin Benghazi in different ways, with top officials initially insisting that the attack was a “spontaneous” escalation of a protest carried out to copy an Egyptian rally earlier in the day.
The labeling of the strike as a “terrorist attack” is a relatively recent thing for the Obama Administration, with the comments beginning in the past couple of days after being pushed by Sen. Joe Lieberman (I – CT).
Perhaps the oddest aspect of the change in narrative is that officials continue to insist that they have “no proof” of any of the assorted theories pushed on the attack, and don’t explain why they shifted from the one to the other in the absence of proof.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Uncertainty on ISIS-Jordan Prisoner Swap as Another Deadline Passes - January 29th, 2015
- Israel, Hezbollah Both Say Yesterday's Clash Is Over - January 29th, 2015
- ISIS Extends Deadline: Fates of Jordan Pilot, Japanese Reporter Unknown - January 28th, 2015
- Cuba Wants Gitmo Back as Part of US Normalization Deal - January 28th, 2015
- ISIS War Authorization Bill Would Limit Conflict - January 28th, 2015