In the wake of Tuesday’s Benghazi Consulate attack, US officials marveled at the complexity of the attack, saying the attackers were “well-armed and seemingly well-informed” before launching the multi-hour siege on the consulate, killing the US Ambassador and several others.
That was the story, but now officials are telling something completely different, with US Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice calling the attack “spontaneous” and saying that the attackers were trying to “replicate” what happened in Cairo.
Which is odd because what happened in Cairo, a public protest at an embassy during which some of the protesters scaled the facade and took down the US flag, is completely different from sieging and burning the Benghazi consulate.
Libyan President Mohammed Megarif is telling a story completely different as well, saying that the attackers were foreign infiltrators who had planned the attack for months and took advantage of security problems, which other officials say they warned the US about repeatedly.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump to Boost Exports of Lethal US Drones - March 20th, 2018
- Tests of Substance in Britain Poisoning Will Take Three Weeks - March 20th, 2018
- Iraq Approves Turkish Military Operations Against Border Kurds - March 20th, 2018
- Trump Praises Visiting Saudi Crown Prince, Focusing on Arms Sales - March 20th, 2018
- Cordial Talks Between Trump and Putin; Two Will Meet Soon - March 20th, 2018