Romney Declared Palestinian Statehood 'Unthinkable'
Mitt Romney had already made enemies of the Palestinians by pledging to “always stand with Israel” without question on all disputes, but the new hidden camera comments, in which he declared a Palestinian state “unthinkable” and declared Palestinians to be inherently “uninterested” in peace have really taken the row to a new level.
Top Palestinian officials were quick to condemn Romney, saying his comments were “absolutely unacceptable” and accusing him of spending all of his time “pandering to the Israeli Lobby.”
“He seems to think of himself as a mind reader since he claims to know what Palestinian intentions are,” noted Hanan Ashrawi, a top PLO figure, who went on to warn that his positions could damage American credibility throughout the world.
Romney isn’t the first Republican candidate to spark a major dispute with the Palestinians, as Newt Gingrich also caused a pretty significant amount of anger back in December when he declared that there is “no such thing” as Palestinians.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Powers Open to 'Grand Coalition' Against ISIS - November 26th, 2015
- Russia, France Agree to Increased Cooperation Against ISIS - November 26th, 2015
- Turkey Masses Tanks on Syria Border Amid Rising Russia Tensions - November 26th, 2015
- Final IAEA Report Unlikely to Resolve Questions on Iran - November 26th, 2015
- Erdogan: Russian Plane Downed Defending 'Our Brothers in Syria' - November 25th, 2015