Romney Declared Palestinian Statehood 'Unthinkable'
Mitt Romney had already made enemies of the Palestinians by pledging to “always stand with Israel” without question on all disputes, but the new hidden camera comments, in which he declared a Palestinian state “unthinkable” and declared Palestinians to be inherently “uninterested” in peace have really taken the row to a new level.
Top Palestinian officials were quick to condemn Romney, saying his comments were “absolutely unacceptable” and accusing him of spending all of his time “pandering to the Israeli Lobby.”
“He seems to think of himself as a mind reader since he claims to know what Palestinian intentions are,” noted Hanan Ashrawi, a top PLO figure, who went on to warn that his positions could damage American credibility throughout the world.
Romney isn’t the first Republican candidate to spark a major dispute with the Palestinians, as Newt Gingrich also caused a pretty significant amount of anger back in December when he declared that there is “no such thing” as Palestinians.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Confirms 'Support' as Syrian Rebels Show US Missiles in Videos - April 15th, 2014
- After al-Qaeda Expansion, Iraq's Infamous Abu Ghraib Finally Closes - April 15th, 2014
- Putin: Ukraine on the Brink of Civil War - April 15th, 2014
- EU Sanctions Push Stalls Over Russia Not Invading Ukraine - April 15th, 2014
- Poland: NATO Must Ignore Russia, Send Ground Troops - April 15th, 2014