Romney Declared Palestinian Statehood 'Unthinkable'
Mitt Romney had already made enemies of the Palestinians by pledging to “always stand with Israel” without question on all disputes, but the new hidden camera comments, in which he declared a Palestinian state “unthinkable” and declared Palestinians to be inherently “uninterested” in peace have really taken the row to a new level.
Top Palestinian officials were quick to condemn Romney, saying his comments were “absolutely unacceptable” and accusing him of spending all of his time “pandering to the Israeli Lobby.”
“He seems to think of himself as a mind reader since he claims to know what Palestinian intentions are,” noted Hanan Ashrawi, a top PLO figure, who went on to warn that his positions could damage American credibility throughout the world.
Romney isn’t the first Republican candidate to spark a major dispute with the Palestinians, as Newt Gingrich also caused a pretty significant amount of anger back in December when he declared that there is “no such thing” as Palestinians.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Six US Warplanes En Route to Baltics - March 6th, 2014
- Russian FM: Still No Agreement With US on Ukraine - March 6th, 2014
- US, EU Unveil Travel Ban on Russians, Threaten Sanctions - March 6th, 2014
- Syria to Miss Deadline on Destroying Chemical Weapons Sites - March 6th, 2014
- Battles Escalate, Spanning Borders at Syria-Lebanon Frontier - March 6th, 2014