US drones pounded the Hadramout Province today, according to the Yemeni Defense Ministry, in what would be their third such attack of the week. The strike killed eight people, who the ministry identified as “suspected militants.”
On Tuesday another drone killed two “suspects” in the province in a strike on a pair of vehicles on a highway. On Wednesday, another strike killed four people, including one identified as a moderate Sunni cleric who had no known militant ties.
The US does not generally disclose its drone strikes, except on the rare occasions when it kills a noted militant they actually have a name for. The Defense Ministry officials declined to provide further details on the strike.
President Obama has dramatically escalated the number of drone strikes launched by the US worldwide, killing thousands of people in such strikes in Pakistan and continually escalating the program in Yemen.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Assembling a Team for Upcoming North Korea Summit - March 16th, 2018
- US Shifts Toward Harsher Stance on Russia With Sanctions and Condemnation - March 16th, 2018
- Putin Furious After Britain Says He Ordered Attack - March 16th, 2018
- Cluster Bombs Reportedly Dropped on Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 16th, 2018
- Turkey Attacks Hospital in Syria's Afrin, Killing Nine - March 16th, 2018