US drones pounded the Hadramout Province today, according to the Yemeni Defense Ministry, in what would be their third such attack of the week. The strike killed eight people, who the ministry identified as “suspected militants.”
On Tuesday another drone killed two “suspects” in the province in a strike on a pair of vehicles on a highway. On Wednesday, another strike killed four people, including one identified as a moderate Sunni cleric who had no known militant ties.
The US does not generally disclose its drone strikes, except on the rare occasions when it kills a noted militant they actually have a name for. The Defense Ministry officials declined to provide further details on the strike.
President Obama has dramatically escalated the number of drone strikes launched by the US worldwide, killing thousands of people in such strikes in Pakistan and continually escalating the program in Yemen.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Furious Trump Threatens Iranian President Will 'Suffer Consequences' - July 22nd, 2018
- Ceasefire Allows Thousands of Yemenis to Flee Port City of Hodeidah - July 22nd, 2018
- Israel Evacuates Hundreds of White Helmets From Syria Into Jordan - July 22nd, 2018
- US Launches Campaign to Undermine Support for Iran's Leaders - July 22nd, 2018
- Israel Offers to Reopen Gaza Crossing on Tuesday If Ceasefire Holds - July 22nd, 2018