Troops Openly Planning for 'Another Quran Burning Incident'
The NATO occupation of Afghanistan continues to get more complicated, and US troops facing the growing possibility of “green-on-blue” attacks are now building fortified safe rooms to hide in just in case such attacks break out on Afghan bases they happen to be on.
Army Command Sgt. Maj. William Johnson openly confirmed the safe rooms, saying that it was important to plan for “another Quran burning incident” and for US troops to have places to hide in case violence breaks out on a massive scale against them.
“It’s something that we’ve always thought about,” Johnson added. 12 US troops have been killed this month alone in “green-on-blue” attacks, and once rare occurrences are now becoming a several time a week reality.
Interestingly, the troops are calling these safe rooms “Alamos,” named after the Alamo Mission in Texas, which during the Texas Revolution was sieged by Mexican forces. As soldiers like Johnson talk about Alamoing “until reinforcements arrive” it is noteworthy that the Alamo was a huge military defeat for the Texas forces, and that virtually everyone within was killed.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- 'Standing Man' Inspires a New Form of Turkish Protests - June 18th, 2013
- Turkey PM Declares 'Victory' as Police Arrest Protest Organizers - June 18th, 2013
- Russian FM: Iran Prepared to Stop 20 Percent Uranium Enrichment - June 18th, 2013
- Pakistani Provincial MP Among 35 Killed in Funeral Bombing - June 18th, 2013
- US, Taliban Start Talks on Ending Afghan War - June 18th, 2013