Rebels Claim Credit for Shoot-Down
A Syrian military helicopter crashed and burned on the outskirts of the capital city of Damascus today, according to a video released by a rebel faction. The rebels claim that they shot down the helicopter.
Rebel spokesmen claimed that the helicopter was shot down by the Free Syrian Army’s “Badr Brigade,” and that it was revenge for the weekend death toll in the Damascus suburb of Daraya.
Rebels have claimed shoot-downs in the past but they’ve never been confirmed. It is unclear what sort of weapon was used to down the helicopter, though speculation was that they may have acquired anti-aircraft guns in recent raids on government bases.
Though Saudi Arabia and other nations have been eager to pump weaponry into the rebel factions, reports are that they have been reluctant to provide anti-aircraft weaponry, fearing they would be used against passenger planes and military planes alike.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- FM: Russia Won't Accept US Terms to End Sanctions - October 20th, 2014
- Egypt Denies Plans to Join US War Against ISIS - October 20th, 2014
- Kobani Kurds Thank US for Arms, Insist They're Not Enough - October 20th, 2014
- Riots in East Jerusalem Neighborhood After Settlers Move In - October 20th, 2014
- Turkey to Allow Peshmerga Fighters to Cross Into Kobani - October 20th, 2014