Despite claims from the Afghan Interior Ministry that Badruddin Haqqani was slain in a recent US drone strike against North Waziristan, the Taliban issued a statement today insisting that he is alive and well.
“He is alive and healthy. The rumor about him being killed is more propaganda of the enemy,” insists Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid. It would not be the first time a militant “confirmed” killed by drone strikes turned out to be alive, and indeed some have been “killed” several times.
The Interior Ministry said Haqqani was killed last week, but didn’t specify exactly which drone strike of the several launched by the US supposedly got him. They claimed the intelligence behind the killing was obtained by Afghan spies operating in Pakistan.
Bararuddin Haqqani is one of the lower profile of the Haqqani Family members. The son of founder Jalaluddin Haqqani and younger brother of operational leader Sirajuddin, he is believed to be involved in fundraising for the family’s operations.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Monitors: US Airstrikes Have Killed 2,617 Civilians in Syria - September 24th, 2017
- Spanish Govt Seen Trying to Discredit Catalan Politicians - September 24th, 2017
- Russia, Syria Intensify Airstrikes Against Idlib Province - September 24th, 2017
- Iraq Seeks to Cut Kurdistan Off From World as Referendum Goes Ahead - September 24th, 2017
- Kurdish President Barzani Says Partnership With Iraq Is Over - September 24th, 2017