Images of bodies have come out of the region, including one showing rows of bodies, apparently inside of a mosque in the area. Rebels claimed the bulk of the casualties were shot execution-style at point-blank range.
Which is what is raising questions about the rebel narrative, as it goes against their past claims that civilians were being killed primarily by “indiscriminate shelling” against the suburbs. In the past rebels have changed stories several times and claimed massacres which were later discredited.
Both regime and rebels have tried to play up the other side’s killing of civilians, while downplaying their own loses of fighters. The ongoing civil war seems to be escalating, however, leaving more and more civilians in harm’s way.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Ambush the Result of 'Massive Intelligence Failure' - October 20th, 2017