Images of bodies have come out of the region, including one showing rows of bodies, apparently inside of a mosque in the area. Rebels claimed the bulk of the casualties were shot execution-style at point-blank range.
Which is what is raising questions about the rebel narrative, as it goes against their past claims that civilians were being killed primarily by “indiscriminate shelling” against the suburbs. In the past rebels have changed stories several times and claimed massacres which were later discredited.
Both regime and rebels have tried to play up the other side’s killing of civilians, while downplaying their own loses of fighters. The ongoing civil war seems to be escalating, however, leaving more and more civilians in harm’s way.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Latest US Navy Collision Fuels Speculation About 'Hacking' - August 22nd, 2017
- US, North Korea Clash at UN Forum Over Nuclear Arms - August 22nd, 2017
- NATO Chief Declares Alliance 'Fully Committed' to US War in Afghan - August 22nd, 2017
- Haley Demands IAEA Launch New Inspections of Iran Military Sites - August 22nd, 2017
- No End in Sight for US War in Afghanistan - August 22nd, 2017