Images of bodies have come out of the region, including one showing rows of bodies, apparently inside of a mosque in the area. Rebels claimed the bulk of the casualties were shot execution-style at point-blank range.
Which is what is raising questions about the rebel narrative, as it goes against their past claims that civilians were being killed primarily by “indiscriminate shelling” against the suburbs. In the past rebels have changed stories several times and claimed massacres which were later discredited.
Both regime and rebels have tried to play up the other side’s killing of civilians, while downplaying their own loses of fighters. The ongoing civil war seems to be escalating, however, leaving more and more civilians in harm’s way.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Assembling a Team for Upcoming North Korea Summit - March 16th, 2018
- US Shifts Toward Harsher Stance on Russia With Sanctions and Condemnation - March 16th, 2018
- Putin Furious After Britain Says He Ordered Attack - March 16th, 2018
- Cluster Bombs Reportedly Dropped on Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 16th, 2018
- Turkey Attacks Hospital in Syria's Afrin, Killing Nine - March 16th, 2018