Images of bodies have come out of the region, including one showing rows of bodies, apparently inside of a mosque in the area. Rebels claimed the bulk of the casualties were shot execution-style at point-blank range.
Which is what is raising questions about the rebel narrative, as it goes against their past claims that civilians were being killed primarily by “indiscriminate shelling” against the suburbs. In the past rebels have changed stories several times and claimed massacres which were later discredited.
Both regime and rebels have tried to play up the other side’s killing of civilians, while downplaying their own loses of fighters. The ongoing civil war seems to be escalating, however, leaving more and more civilians in harm’s way.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- NATO Warns Russian Missile Might Violate Missile Treaty - December 15th, 2017
- US Allegations of Iran Missiles in Yemen Met With Skepticism - December 15th, 2017
- Mattis: North Korean Missiles Not a 'Capable Threat' Against US - December 15th, 2017
- Israeli Troops Kill Four Palestinians, Wound 160 at Friday Protests - December 15th, 2017
- Trump Allies: Tillerson Hasn't Learned His Lesson - December 15th, 2017