Anti-Chinese Militant Reportedly Slain in Flurry of Strikes
Just one day after the Pakistani government summoned a top US diplomat to formally protest the ongoing drone strikes against North Waziristan Agency, the Obama Administration has launched three more strikes, killing 18 others.
The strikes all targeted the Shawal Valley, destroying a house and two vehicles. One of the strikes apparently targeted members of the East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM), a separatist faction looking to turn China’s Xinjiang Province into an independent nation.
The strike against ETIM reportedly killed Emeti Yakuf, one of the group’s leaders. Yakuf was wanted in China on charges of leaving the country illegally and was also accused of plotting to bomb the 2008 Olympics.
One of the other strikes killed two unnamed “leaders” in the Tehreek-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP), while the third strike’s victims are entirely unknown, but as is the custom they have all been labeled “suspects.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Growing Fear in Turkey as Detainees Disappear in State of Emergency - July 24th, 2016
- Amnesty: Credible Evidence Turkey Torturing Post-Coup Detainees - July 24th, 2016
- Erdogan Orders 1,000 Schools Closed as Purge Grows - July 24th, 2016
- Congressmen Push Dueling Plans for US Nuke Arsenal - July 24th, 2016
- Heavy Fighting in Manbij as ISIS Refuses Surrender Demand - July 24th, 2016