Attackers Escaped; Taliban Spokesman Says Attackers Have Joined Group
The latest in a long line of “green-on-blue” attacks took place today in the Paktia Province, where two uniformed Afghan army personnel opened fire on US troops, killing one and wounding two others before escaping into the countryside.
Officials have not offered any details on the attack, beyond that it took place. The Taliban issued a statement praising the shooting and saying that the attackers have joined them.
This is the 27th NATO soldier to have been killed so far this year in attacks by Afghan security forces, and the 272nd killed overall. The Taliban’s statement claimed that nine US soldiers were actually slain, but this does not appear to have been the case.
Many of the past attacks have taken place when Afghan forces decided to defect to the Taliban, but some have been the result of unrelated arguments with occupation forces. So far it isn’t clear what caused this fight.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Afghan Army Touts 'First Solo Offensive' Against Helmand Province - March 2nd, 2015
- Libya Names Coup General Hifter as Army Chief - March 2nd, 2015
- US Denies Involvement as Iraq Attacks Tikrit - March 2nd, 2015
- Pentagon Fears Growing Iran Influence in Iraq - March 2nd, 2015
- Tensions Rise, Despite Netanyahu's Claim of 'No Disrespect' to Obama - March 2nd, 2015