The militants attacked the police station earlier in the day, sacking the station, killing 16 and injuring several other police, and making off with two army vehicles that were at the compound. The vehicles were used in an attempt to fight through the Kerem Shalom crossing into neighboring Israel.
The attempt to fight into Israel was unsuccessful, as Israeli forces attacked the vehicles and killed an undisclosed number of militants. Egyptian forces are still searching the area for any possible surviving attackers, and Israeli forces are searching their side of the border as well in case any of the attackers got inside.
Hamas, which is on friendly terms with the new Egyptian president, slammed the attack and announced that they are closing all crossings including smuggling tunnels into Egypt to ensure that the attackers don’t try to flee into the Gaza Strip.
No group has claimed credit for the attack yet, but Israeli military officials tapped them as members of Global Jihad and said it was likely they had Palestinian ties.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalans Rally at Barcelona Parliament, Push for Independence - October 21st, 2017
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017