Officials to Reiterate 'Right' to Start War Over Course of Visit
Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta’s high profile visit to Israel won’t include going over any specific attack plans, officials insist, but it will center around Israel’s far-right government making clear that the US can’t even theoretically stop them from attacking Iran whenever they decide to.
The message is going to be repeated by several top officials, including Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ehud Barak, while they reiterate their belief that they have an inherent “right” to attack Iran.
Israeli officials familiar with the gameplan say that they believe Israel can attack Iran with impunity, and that the US wouldn’t do anything to “turn its back” on Israel even if they get America dragged into a massive regional war.
The visit comes with Netanyahu already laying his hawkish groundwork today, appearing on several Israeli channels for interviews insisting that the Israeli military’s opposition to a war with Iran won’t stop it from happening, and that the cabinet alone will make that decision.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- After Ceasefire Collapse, Israeli Cabinet Likely to Approve Escalating Gaza War - August 1st, 2014
- 23 ISIS Fighters, 17 Iraqi Soldiers Killed South of Baghdad - August 1st, 2014
- Pentagon Wants to Send Troops to Ukraine for 'Counterterrorism' Training - August 1st, 2014
- Obama Sees Little Hope of Brokering Another Gaza Ceasefire - August 1st, 2014
- Israel: Hamas Violated Ceasefire by Hitting Attacking Israeli Troops - August 1st, 2014