With several rebel blocs continuing to petition for foreign invasion to install them as the new government, the Syrian military is beginning a new round of military exercises today meant to ready the nation for a possible attack.
The exercise was reported on in Syria’s state media, which showed the nation’s navy preparing to attempt to repel “a sudden attack from the sea.” Officials termed the operation a great success.
Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Abdollahian issued a statement warning against a military attack, saying that the consequences would be unimaginable and that the international community needed to focus on a political solution.
Though several NATO member nations, particularly France and Britain, have expressed support for imposing regime change militarily, Russia and China have vetoed any resolutions that would allow them to do so.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Ambushes Shi'ite Militia in Iraq, Killing 27 - February 19th, 2018
- Ex-CIA Chief: US Meddles in Foreign Elections, But 'Only for a Very Good Cause' - February 18th, 2018
- Amid Worsening Tensions, Western Diplomats See Russia as 'Indispensable Partner' - February 18th, 2018
- Turkey: Chemical Weapons Use Allegations 'Baseless' - February 18th, 2018
- US Pushes Europe to Commit to Changing Iran Nuclear Deal - February 18th, 2018