With several rebel blocs continuing to petition for foreign invasion to install them as the new government, the Syrian military is beginning a new round of military exercises today meant to ready the nation for a possible attack.
The exercise was reported on in Syria’s state media, which showed the nation’s navy preparing to attempt to repel “a sudden attack from the sea.” Officials termed the operation a great success.
Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Abdollahian issued a statement warning against a military attack, saying that the consequences would be unimaginable and that the international community needed to focus on a political solution.
Though several NATO member nations, particularly France and Britain, have expressed support for imposing regime change militarily, Russia and China have vetoed any resolutions that would allow them to do so.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iran: European Proposals Not Enough to Save Nuclear Deal - June 19th, 2018
- Kim and China's President Xi Talk Denuclearization, Peace in Korea - June 19th, 2018
- New US Commander in Afghanistan Claims Progress, Warns Against Pullout - June 19th, 2018
- US Withdraws From UN Human Rights Council, Citing Approach to Israel - June 19th, 2018
- Saudi-led Forces Seize Parts of Yemen's Hodeidah Airport in Heavy Fighting - June 19th, 2018