No Links Between Arrests, Olympics Insist Officials
British police randomly stopped a vehicle they suspected of being “uninsured” earlier today, discovering guns and unspecified “other materials” hidden inside and sparking new arrests that led to more detainees accused of terrorism.
The arrests of seven people today comes just days after the arrests of six other people in London as part of a “counter-terror” sweep. Officials insist today’s arrests have nothing to do with the London arrests, and that neither has anything to do with the Olympic Games.
The seven people arrested today amounted to two unloaded pistols found in the car, while the other round is even less clear, centering mostly on one of them being a “Muslim convert” who had publicly criticized the Royal Family.
Everyone is being held of charges of “suspicion of preparing or instigating acts of terrorism,” but there is no indication so far that any of them actually planned to do anything specific. Britain insists that after the arrests the terror threat is “substantial.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkey Escalates Airstrikes Against Kurdish Targets in Iraq - July 29th, 2015
- Obama Assures Dems He'll Remain Hostile to 'Odious' Iran - July 29th, 2015
- Experts: Pollard Release Won't Improve US-Israel Ties - July 29th, 2015
- Senate Packages Surveillance Powers Into New Cybersecurity Bill - July 29th, 2015
- Israel Demolishes Two Illegal Settlement Buildings, Announces 300 New Units - July 29th, 2015