Rep. Mike Rogers (R – MI) and other Republican leaders are looking to push a resolution through the House that would declare the Haqqani Family a “grave danger” to the US forces operating in Afghanistan.
Rogers insisted that the Haqqanis are “responsible for killing hundreds of our troops, and their indiscriminate attacks have also murdered countless innocent Afghan men, women and children.” The resolution would press the Obama Administration to declare the Haqqanis a “foreign terrorist organization.”
The actual decision to add a group to the FTO list is up to the US State Department, but has become an increasingly political matter, with groups like the Iranian Mujahedin-e Khalq (MeK) openly lobbying and paying officials for public endorsements in an effort to get off the list.
The depth of the Haqqani Network’s involvement in Afghanistan is a matter of no small speculation, as blaming the group for attacks (even when other groups claim credit) is often part of a broader US effort to pressure Pakistan to attack North Waziristan, where the group is based, instead of being based on actual evidence.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Chief Wants Fighters Placed Under National Army - December 14th, 2017
- US Troops, Syrian Rebels Battle ISIS Near Key Base - December 14th, 2017
- US Will Preposition Jet Fuel in Algeria, Niger to Expand Drone Wars - December 14th, 2017
- US Warplanes Fire Warning Flares at Russian Jets Over Syria - December 14th, 2017
- Iran: US Presentation of Iranian Arms in Yemen Fabricated - December 14th, 2017