Years In, Officials Confirm the Existence of Drone Program
US drones have been pounding both Somalia and Yemen for years, and were involved in the assassination of US cleric Anwar al-Awlaki and his son last year. For the first time, however, the White House is actually confirming that they’re doing this.
Terming the strikes “direct actions” the administration confirmed operations in both countries “in a limited number of cases” to Congress, but provided no actual details on the strikes.
The White House shrugged off the idea that the revelation was anything to do with the growing questions about selective disclosure to the media, and the Pentagon said that they just now decided to concede that the attacks were happening because of “their growing significance.”
The US has been launching a growing number of drone strikes, particularly in Yemen, over the past several months. The strikes in Yemen have been centered around the Abyan Province, where US ground troops are advising the Yemeni military in an invasion.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Kerry Warns of 'Different Track' If No Syria Regime Change by August - May 4th, 2016
- US, Allies Agree to 'Do More' in ISIS War - May 4th, 2016
- Turkey: Over 20 PKK Fighters Killed in Air Strikes - May 4th, 2016
- Turkey's PM to Be Ousted as President Moves to Increase Power - May 4th, 2016
- Egypt Interior Ministry Accidentally Releases Memos on Silencing Media - May 4th, 2016