Years In, Officials Confirm the Existence of Drone Program
US drones have been pounding both Somalia and Yemen for years, and were involved in the assassination of US cleric Anwar al-Awlaki and his son last year. For the first time, however, the White House is actually confirming that they’re doing this.
Terming the strikes “direct actions” the administration confirmed operations in both countries “in a limited number of cases” to Congress, but provided no actual details on the strikes.
The White House shrugged off the idea that the revelation was anything to do with the growing questions about selective disclosure to the media, and the Pentagon said that they just now decided to concede that the attacks were happening because of “their growing significance.”
The US has been launching a growing number of drone strikes, particularly in Yemen, over the past several months. The strikes in Yemen have been centered around the Abyan Province, where US ground troops are advising the Yemeni military in an invasion.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Dozens Killed as Car Bombs Rock Yemen Cities - July 7th, 2015
- Next 48 Hours Seen as Key to Iran Nuclear Talks - July 7th, 2015
- Aid Groups Warn of Famine as Yemen War's Civilian Toll Tops 1,500 - July 7th, 2015
- US Drone Strikes Kill 49 in Eastern Afghanistan - July 7th, 2015
- Pentagon Found Only 60 Syrian Rebels for Training Scheme - July 7th, 2015