Years In, Officials Confirm the Existence of Drone Program
US drones have been pounding both Somalia and Yemen for years, and were involved in the assassination of US cleric Anwar al-Awlaki and his son last year. For the first time, however, the White House is actually confirming that they’re doing this.
Terming the strikes “direct actions” the administration confirmed operations in both countries “in a limited number of cases” to Congress, but provided no actual details on the strikes.
The White House shrugged off the idea that the revelation was anything to do with the growing questions about selective disclosure to the media, and the Pentagon said that they just now decided to concede that the attacks were happening because of “their growing significance.”
The US has been launching a growing number of drone strikes, particularly in Yemen, over the past several months. The strikes in Yemen have been centered around the Abyan Province, where US ground troops are advising the Yemeni military in an invasion.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: Deaths of Afghan Women up 54% Over Previous Year - April 27th, 2017
- German Soldier Arrested Over Plan to Carry Out Attack, Blame Refugees - April 27th, 2017
- US State Dept Defends Israeli Anti-Occupation NGOs - April 27th, 2017
- Abbas Cuts Electricity Funding for Gaza Strip - April 27th, 2017
- US Drone Strike Kills Seven in North Waziristan - April 27th, 2017