Years In, Officials Confirm the Existence of Drone Program
US drones have been pounding both Somalia and Yemen for years, and were involved in the assassination of US cleric Anwar al-Awlaki and his son last year. For the first time, however, the White House is actually confirming that they’re doing this.
Terming the strikes “direct actions” the administration confirmed operations in both countries “in a limited number of cases” to Congress, but provided no actual details on the strikes.
The White House shrugged off the idea that the revelation was anything to do with the growing questions about selective disclosure to the media, and the Pentagon said that they just now decided to concede that the attacks were happening because of “their growing significance.”
The US has been launching a growing number of drone strikes, particularly in Yemen, over the past several months. The strikes in Yemen have been centered around the Abyan Province, where US ground troops are advising the Yemeni military in an invasion.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Answer to Taliban Victories in Afghanistan: Blame Russia - February 12th, 2016
- Red Cross Rejects Saudi Demand to Withdraw From Northern Yemen - February 12th, 2016
- Iraq PM: ISIS Will Be Wiped Out By Year's End - February 12th, 2016
- After Ceasefire Deal, Rebels Report New Shipments of Missiles - February 12th, 2016
- Assad Welcomes Peace Talks, Says Goal Is to Retake Syria - February 12th, 2016