Years In, Officials Confirm the Existence of Drone Program
US drones have been pounding both Somalia and Yemen for years, and were involved in the assassination of US cleric Anwar al-Awlaki and his son last year. For the first time, however, the White House is actually confirming that they’re doing this.
Terming the strikes “direct actions” the administration confirmed operations in both countries “in a limited number of cases” to Congress, but provided no actual details on the strikes.
The White House shrugged off the idea that the revelation was anything to do with the growing questions about selective disclosure to the media, and the Pentagon said that they just now decided to concede that the attacks were happening because of “their growing significance.”
The US has been launching a growing number of drone strikes, particularly in Yemen, over the past several months. The strikes in Yemen have been centered around the Abyan Province, where US ground troops are advising the Yemeni military in an invasion.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Fighting Pauses as Engineers Move to Fix Syria's Tabqa Dam - March 28th, 2017
- UN Urges US, Iraq to Rethink Mosul Strategy Amid Civilian Deaths - March 28th, 2017
- 40,000 Syrians Displaced by Fighting Around Hama - March 28th, 2017
- US Commander: US Airstrike 'Probably' Behind Mosul Civilian Death Toll - March 28th, 2017
- Pentagon Denies Last Week's Airstrike That Killed 33 Civilians in Syria - March 28th, 2017