International Community 'Unified' on Move, Panetta Insists
Speaking today on ABC’s This Week, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta reiterated comments made in the past by other officials that the US is “ready” to launch a military attack on Iran and will do so as soon as President Obama decides to.
“We will do everything we can to prevent Iran from developing a weapon,” Panetta added, ignoring that US intelligence agencies agree Iran is not attempting to do anything of the sort. Panetta claimed only last week that an attack was not being considered.
Panetta’s comments come just days after the end of the last round of diplomatic talks with Iran, which ended with no agreement, but a promise to meet for more talks next month in Moscow. An expected deal fell apart when the US announced that it would never accept Iran’s civilian uranium enrichment.
Panetta went on to say that the “international community’s been unified” on the move, and that the Pentagon is ready for any possibilities of an attack on Iran. Despite this claim, it seems clear that neither Russia nor China is “united” on the call to war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkey Arrests British Reporters, Charging Them as Terrorists - August 31st, 2015
- ISIS Fights Rival Rebels, Nearing Heart of Syrian Capital - August 31st, 2015
- Losing Ground in Senate, GOP Warns Dems Against Filibustering Anti-Iran Bill - August 31st, 2015
- Japan DM Seeks Record Military Budget 'to Counter China' - August 31st, 2015
- Yemen's Houthis Raid Homes of Rivals in Sanaa - August 31st, 2015