International Community 'Unified' on Move, Panetta Insists
Speaking today on ABC’s This Week, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta reiterated comments made in the past by other officials that the US is “ready” to launch a military attack on Iran and will do so as soon as President Obama decides to.
“We will do everything we can to prevent Iran from developing a weapon,” Panetta added, ignoring that US intelligence agencies agree Iran is not attempting to do anything of the sort. Panetta claimed only last week that an attack was not being considered.
Panetta’s comments come just days after the end of the last round of diplomatic talks with Iran, which ended with no agreement, but a promise to meet for more talks next month in Moscow. An expected deal fell apart when the US announced that it would never accept Iran’s civilian uranium enrichment.
Panetta went on to say that the “international community’s been unified” on the move, and that the Pentagon is ready for any possibilities of an attack on Iran. Despite this claim, it seems clear that neither Russia nor China is “united” on the call to war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House: Bombing Afghan Hospital 'Not a War Crime' - October 5th, 2015
- Russia Says 'Volunteers' Likely to Fight in Syria - October 5th, 2015
- Syrians Skeptical of Turkey's Promised War Against ISIS - October 5th, 2015
- Badr Brigade Chief: US Not Serious in Fighting ISIS - October 5th, 2015
- With Coastal Gains, Saudi Forces See Yemen's Taiz Within Reach - October 5th, 2015