Kosovo FM: We're Committed to Rebels
Being a Western-backed insurgency engaged in a bloody war of regime change isn’t as easy as it sounds, and hoping to get some pointers on the techniques involved. Top Syrian rebel leaders have been in Kosovo since last month, picking the brains of the former Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA) forces.
That’s not sitting well at all with Russia though, with Ambassador Vitaly Churkin warning of “disturbing information” that Kosovo has been establishing growing ties with the fighters, and cautioning that it could make Kosovo a “destabilizing factor” across the region.
Kosovo, however, seems determined to be that guy, with Foreign Minister Enver Hoxhaj insisting that his country is committed to the rebels in Syria, just as they were committed to the rebels in Libya.” He denied any plans to establish full-scale training centers for rebels in Kosovo, however.
Of course most of the reports have the training centers being planned for southern Turkey, not Kosovo, and the nation’s role is likely to be primarily advisory, as Western officials continue to talk out of both sides of their mouths on their support of a peace deal and their unconditional backing of rebels as a new regime.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Mattis: US Troops Need to Stay in Iraq for 'Years' - March 24th, 2017
- Iraqi Civilians Continue to Flee Mosul, Facing Danger and Uncertainty - March 24th, 2017
- UN: Around 200 Civilians Killed Per Month in Yemen War - March 24th, 2017
- On Airstrikes' Anniversary, Serbia PM Rules Out Joining NATO - March 24th, 2017
- Netanyahu Rejects US Proposal on Reining in Settlement Growth - March 24th, 2017