Blames Regime as Rebel Attacks Grow
White House spokesman Jay Carney today urged the international community to “admit defeat” and abandon the struggling ceasefire in Syria, insisting that the Assad regime was fully to blame for its failure.
Carney said that a new alternative should be considered through the UN Security Council, likely referring to the initiative promised last week by French FM Alain Juppe calling for a UN invasion of Syria.
The latest White House comments, which centered on blaming the regime, came just one day after the deadliest day of the ceasefire for Syrian government forces, in which rebels killed 22 soldiers nationwide in multiple attacks.
Both sides have been intermittently flouting the ceasefire, but UN monitors have said that violence is down markedly in areas they’ve deployed. With more monitors expected in the days and weeks to come, they aren’t as ready to give up as Western officials who were pushing for war and saw the calm as a stumbling block.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Yemeni al-Qaeda Factions Fight Over Local Control - February 8th, 2016
- Syrian Islamists Face Growing Pressure on Multiple Fronts - February 8th, 2016
- Kerry: US Pushing for 'Immediate' Syria Ceasefire - February 8th, 2016
- Official: Chechen Spies Infiltrated ISIS Cells - February 8th, 2016
- Canada PM: Airstrikes in Iraq, Syria to End by February 22 - February 8th, 2016