North Korea’s attempted satellite launch today ended in failure, as the rocket reportedly broke up shortly after launch. There has been no official word from the North Koreans on what went wrong with the launch.
The US Navy will be relieved, however, that the satellite wasn’t a secret attack on the United States, something Admiral James Winnefeld Jr. claimed was theoretically possible in comments yesterday.
Western officials are expected to move at the UN Security Council tomorrow to punish North Korea. Though there are no indications that the satellite launch was anything but civilian in nature, UN resolutions aimed at banning missile tests made no attempt to differentiate between missiles and satellite launches.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018
- Afghans Head to Polls Amid Corruption, Taliban Threats - October 19th, 2018