Top Officers Call for Capture of Territory
Though most of the Israeli military’s efforts right now are focused on planning to attack Iran or planning another ground invasion of the Gaza Strip, units of ground troops are also being put through “special training,” according to officials, with an eye toward a military occupation of Lebanon.
One of the top ranking officers involved said that in the next war Israel had to capture some territory because “this is the only way the concept of victory can be established.” The troops are being trained to operate as occupiers in populated areas.
Which, since Israel has been occupying the West Bank since 1967 would be something the military is already familiar with. Officials, however, say a full-scale military occupation of Lebanon would require effort above and beyond the “patrols or raids on Palestinians” that the military is used to.
The commander of the mission said a major goal is “to distinguish between militants and uninvolved civilians,” and said the soldiers would have to “use their discretion” on when to shoot apparent civilians.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Nearly Half of Palestinian MPs in Israeli Jails, Most Without Charges - August 22nd, 2014
- Israel Vows Escalation of Gaza War After Child Killed in Shelling - August 22nd, 2014
- US Preparing to Expand Iraq War Into Syria - August 22nd, 2014
- Ukraine Cries 'Invasion' as Russian Humanitarian Aid Trucks Reach Luhansk - August 22nd, 2014
- Many Reasons to Doubt Hamas Vet's Claims on Kidnapping - August 21st, 2014