Threatened 'Reprisals' Come Quickly
The Taliban’s threat of violent retaliation in response to the US massacre over the weekend was followed up quickly with an attack on an Afghan government team at the massacre site.
The attack came during a meeting between civilians and the Karzai investigative team, which included two of President Hamid Karzai’s brothers. Neither was harmed, but one Afghan soldier was killed in the strike.
Provincial Governor Toryalai Wesa, who was in the village at the time of the attack, said it underscores the ability of the Taliban to continue to attack even places with heightened security.
The US says it continues to hold the staff sergeant, whose name has not been released, over the attack. The soldier killed 16 people, including 11 from one family, and wounded five others. Officials have promised a “thorough investigation,” but such promises have been made and broken in the past; the latest is unlikely to defuse anger at the occupation forces.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Frexit? Talk of EU Withdrawal Votes in France, Netherlands, Italy - June 24th, 2016
- British PM David Cameron to Resign After EU Vote - June 24th, 2016
- Referendum: Britain Votes to Leave European Union - June 23rd, 2016
- Iraqi Troops Remain in Central Fallujah as ISIS holds North and West - June 23rd, 2016
- Syrian Rebels Accuse Russia of Using Incendiary Bombs - June 23rd, 2016