Attack Targeted Vehicle, House
A US drone has attacked a house and a vehicle in the Mandao District of Pakistan’s South Waziristan Agency, killing at least 13 people and wounding three others. The slain have not been identified but were termed “suspected militants” by Pakistani officials commenting on the situation.
The attack is the eighth US drone strike in 2012, and the deadliest since mid-February, when a pair of US drone strikes killed 21 people in neighboring North Waziristan Agency.
The latest attack came just hours after the release of a new al-Qaeda video confirming the death of a militant leader, Badr Mansoor, in a previous drone strike. This was the first confirmed kill of an actual militant among all the strikes in 2012, though others have been speculated to have been killed.
The video also condemned the Pakistani government for backing the US drone strike program. Publicly, Pakistan’s government condemns the US strikes, which are enormously unpopular domestically, but privately has cooperated in the strikes.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Al-Qaeda Whittles Down US-Trained Rebels in Syria - August 4th, 2015
- Foreign Ground Troops Arrive in South Yemen, Joining War - August 4th, 2015
- US Officials Split on Whether ISIS or al-Qaeda Is the Bigger Threat - August 4th, 2015
- Sen. Cotton Urges US Military Strike on Iran - August 4th, 2015
- US Intel Community Irked by Plan to Release Israel Spy - August 4th, 2015