Attack Targeted Vehicle, House
A US drone has attacked a house and a vehicle in the Mandao District of Pakistan’s South Waziristan Agency, killing at least 13 people and wounding three others. The slain have not been identified but were termed “suspected militants” by Pakistani officials commenting on the situation.
The attack is the eighth US drone strike in 2012, and the deadliest since mid-February, when a pair of US drone strikes killed 21 people in neighboring North Waziristan Agency.
The latest attack came just hours after the release of a new al-Qaeda video confirming the death of a militant leader, Badr Mansoor, in a previous drone strike. This was the first confirmed kill of an actual militant among all the strikes in 2012, though others have been speculated to have been killed.
The video also condemned the Pakistani government for backing the US drone strike program. Publicly, Pakistan’s government condemns the US strikes, which are enormously unpopular domestically, but privately has cooperated in the strikes.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Attacks on Gaza Continue: 630 Palestinians, 29 Israelis Dead - July 22nd, 2014
- Iraqi Barrel Bombs Kill 19 Civilians in Fallujah - July 22nd, 2014
- Al-Qaeda Wing Declares Emirate in East Yemen - July 22nd, 2014
- Ukraine Calls Up More Reserves to Attack Rebel East - July 22nd, 2014
- US Story on MH17 Unravels Over Lack of Real Evidence - July 22nd, 2014