The march to a US war with Syria appears to be picking up pace considerably today, with Sens. John McCain (R – AZ) and Lindsey Graham (R – SC), the usual advocates for any given war, loudly calling for the US to begin arming Syrian rebel factions.
McCain insisted that the rebel factions “deserve” weapons and that there would be ways for the US to funnel the arms into Syria indirectly. He suggested “third world countries” could be used to transfer the weapons to avoid “giving the appearance that the United States is trying to intervene in Syria,” which perhaps would’ve worked better if he wasn’t publicly announcing those intentions on national television.
Sen. Graham added that destroying the current Syrian government for having ties with Iran was a perfectly good reason, saying that ousting Assad was “as important to containing a nuclear Iran as sanctions.”
Exactly what aid the US providing and to which rebel factions is unclear, but former US diplomat Walid Maalouf said he is aware of ongoing secret aid transfers, and that the US appears to favor the Syrian National Council (SNC) faction.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Netanyahu: The Bible Proves Jerusalem Is Israel's Capital - December 11th, 2017
- ISIS Is Gone, But Iraq's Main Refinery Remains in Ruins - December 11th, 2017
- US-Backed Syrian Kurds, Iraqi Army Coordinate at Border - December 11th, 2017
- Iran FM Urges Europe to Preserve Nuclear Deal - December 11th, 2017
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Cleric Urges Fighters to Disarm - December 11th, 2017