Second Helicopter Crash This Week
NATO officials say that six of their soldiers were killed today in southern Afghanistan when a helicopter was downed in Helmand. The soldiers were later revealed to be US Marines. There was no indication of any of enemies in the area and the cause of the crash was unknown, NATO said.
A Taliban spokesman claimed credit, saying they had shot down the helicopter. US officials deny that this is the case.
It is the second NATO helicopter lost this week; another was downed in Helmand Province. The Taliban claimed credit for that one as well, though NATO declined to confirm this and Afghan officials speculated it was “technical problems.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- No Evidence of Threat, But US On 'High Alert' for July 4th - July 3rd, 2015
- Obama Faces 'Showdown' With Congress Over Cuba Embassy - July 3rd, 2015
- Iran FM: Final Nuclear Deal Close - July 3rd, 2015
- Turkish PM: No Immediate Plans to Invade Syria - July 3rd, 2015
- US Drones Strike al-Qaeda-Held Yemen Army Base, Killing Four - July 3rd, 2015