Second Helicopter Crash This Week
NATO officials say that six of their soldiers were killed today in southern Afghanistan when a helicopter was downed in Helmand. The soldiers were later revealed to be US Marines. There was no indication of any of enemies in the area and the cause of the crash was unknown, NATO said.
A Taliban spokesman claimed credit, saying they had shot down the helicopter. US officials deny that this is the case.
It is the second NATO helicopter lost this week; another was downed in Helmand Province. The Taliban claimed credit for that one as well, though NATO declined to confirm this and Afghan officials speculated it was “technical problems.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Sends Special Forces Troops to Jordan for Iraq Training - March 7th, 2014
- US Sends Destroyer to Black Sea Amid Crimea Tensions - March 7th, 2014
- Russia Warns Sanctions Could Backfire on US, EU - March 7th, 2014
- Conflicting Stories, But No Clashes at Ukraine Base in Crimea - March 7th, 2014
- Ukraine Interim Govt Courts Oligarchs, Neo-Fascists - March 7th, 2014