With a moderate Islamist party taking power in Tunisia, and another winning a considerable percentage of the seats in Egypt’s lower parliament, Islamist factions seem to be the biggest winners so far in the Arab Spring.
This is perhaps unsurprising, as traditionally when military dictatorships have banned opposition parties it has benefited religious factions which can operate under the auspices of the church (or in this case mosque).
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Obama Signs Law Barring Iran's UN Envoy From Post - April 18th, 2014
- DM Confirms: US Ground Troops Deploying to Poland - April 18th, 2014
- Japan Sends Troops to Island, Risking China Tensions - April 18th, 2014
- Sen Reid: Backers of Rancher Are 'Domestic Terrorists' - April 18th, 2014
- Syrian Rebel Car Bomb Kills 14 Outside Homs Alawite Mosque - April 18th, 2014