With a moderate Islamist party taking power in Tunisia, and another winning a considerable percentage of the seats in Egypt’s lower parliament, Islamist factions seem to be the biggest winners so far in the Arab Spring.
This is perhaps unsurprising, as traditionally when military dictatorships have banned opposition parties it has benefited religious factions which can operate under the auspices of the church (or in this case mosque).
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinians Slam Planned US Embassy Move to Jerusalem - February 23rd, 2018
- White House Orders Military Parade for Veterans Day - February 23rd, 2018
- Turkish Army Attacks Afrin Convoy, Kurds Say It Was Full of Aid - February 23rd, 2018
- Nigeria Sends More Troops to Look for Missing Girls - February 23rd, 2018
- Trump Vows 'Largest Ever' North Korea Sanctions, Threatens Ominous 'Phase Two' - February 23rd, 2018