With a moderate Islamist party taking power in Tunisia, and another winning a considerable percentage of the seats in Egypt’s lower parliament, Islamist factions seem to be the biggest winners so far in the Arab Spring.
This is perhaps unsurprising, as traditionally when military dictatorships have banned opposition parties it has benefited religious factions which can operate under the auspices of the church (or in this case mosque).
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Quickly Surpassing al-Qaeda in Recruitment Drive - July 23rd, 2014
- Vote on Iraqi President Again Delayed by Parliament - July 23rd, 2014
- Rebels Shoot Down Two Ukraine Su-25 Warplanes in East - July 23rd, 2014
- State Dept Contradicts Intel Community, Says Putin Directly to Blame for MH17 - July 23rd, 2014
- Iraq Detains Sunni Women to Intimidate Families Into Opposing ISIS - July 22nd, 2014