With a moderate Islamist party taking power in Tunisia, and another winning a considerable percentage of the seats in Egypt’s lower parliament, Islamist factions seem to be the biggest winners so far in the Arab Spring.
This is perhaps unsurprising, as traditionally when military dictatorships have banned opposition parties it has benefited religious factions which can operate under the auspices of the church (or in this case mosque).
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Allies Condemn Pakistan for Refusing to Join Yemen War - April 12th, 2015
- Afghan Civilian Toll Rising Again, 2015 Could Be Another Deadly Record - April 12th, 2015
- Obama Blasts Attempts to Derail Iran Nuclear Deal - April 12th, 2015
- Iran MPs Want Facts on Framework Deal - April 12th, 2015
- Netanyahu's Great Fear: Iran Will Comply With Nuclear Deal - April 12th, 2015