With yesterday’s video of US Marines urinating on the corpses of slain Afghans continuing to make the rounds, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta chimed in today, suggesting this isn’t the sort of thing US Marines are supposed to do.
Panetta termed the action “entirely inappropriate for members of the United States military,” adding that it does not “reflect the standards” of the American armed forces. Panetta’s comments largely reflect the comments of Marine Corps officials, who also said urinating on corpses was “not consistent with our core values.”
Secretary Panetta contacted Afghan President Hamid Karzai, assuring him that the military will launch a “full investigation” into the incident. Karzai reportedly termed the situation “completely inhumane.”
The Marines say that at least two of the four soldiers in the video have already been identified, saying they are based out of Camp Lejeune. They said it was unclear when the video was taken.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018