With yesterday’s video of US Marines urinating on the corpses of slain Afghans continuing to make the rounds, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta chimed in today, suggesting this isn’t the sort of thing US Marines are supposed to do.
Panetta termed the action “entirely inappropriate for members of the United States military,” adding that it does not “reflect the standards” of the American armed forces. Panetta’s comments largely reflect the comments of Marine Corps officials, who also said urinating on corpses was “not consistent with our core values.”
Secretary Panetta contacted Afghan President Hamid Karzai, assuring him that the military will launch a “full investigation” into the incident. Karzai reportedly termed the situation “completely inhumane.”
The Marines say that at least two of the four soldiers in the video have already been identified, saying they are based out of Camp Lejeune. They said it was unclear when the video was taken.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalans Rally at Barcelona Parliament, Push for Independence - October 21st, 2017
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017