With yesterday’s video of US Marines urinating on the corpses of slain Afghans continuing to make the rounds, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta chimed in today, suggesting this isn’t the sort of thing US Marines are supposed to do.
Panetta termed the action “entirely inappropriate for members of the United States military,” adding that it does not “reflect the standards” of the American armed forces. Panetta’s comments largely reflect the comments of Marine Corps officials, who also said urinating on corpses was “not consistent with our core values.”
Secretary Panetta contacted Afghan President Hamid Karzai, assuring him that the military will launch a “full investigation” into the incident. Karzai reportedly termed the situation “completely inhumane.”
The Marines say that at least two of the four soldiers in the video have already been identified, saying they are based out of Camp Lejeune. They said it was unclear when the video was taken.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Cuts Ties With Afghan NSA Over Criticism of Negotiator - March 19th, 2019
- New Zealand PM: Censorship Meant to Deny Attacker Notoriety - March 19th, 2019
- Trump Advances Venezuela Regime Change Abroad - March 19th, 2019
- US Slams Germany for Military Spending Falling Short of Trump's Demands - March 19th, 2019
- German Court: Govt Must Question If US Drone Strikes Are Legal - March 19th, 2019