With yesterday’s video of US Marines urinating on the corpses of slain Afghans continuing to make the rounds, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta chimed in today, suggesting this isn’t the sort of thing US Marines are supposed to do.
Panetta termed the action “entirely inappropriate for members of the United States military,” adding that it does not “reflect the standards” of the American armed forces. Panetta’s comments largely reflect the comments of Marine Corps officials, who also said urinating on corpses was “not consistent with our core values.”
Secretary Panetta contacted Afghan President Hamid Karzai, assuring him that the military will launch a “full investigation” into the incident. Karzai reportedly termed the situation “completely inhumane.”
The Marines say that at least two of the four soldiers in the video have already been identified, saying they are based out of Camp Lejeune. They said it was unclear when the video was taken.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Exodus From Eastern Ghouta as Syrian Army Appears to Near Victory - March 18th, 2018
- Pentagon Defends Keeping Niger Attacks Secret - March 18th, 2018
- Trump Administration Scrambles to Convince Congress Not to Halt Yemen War - March 18th, 2018
- Sen. Corker Predicts Trump Will Withdraw From Iran Deal in May - March 18th, 2018
- May Says Britain Considers More Steps Against Russia in Coming Days - March 18th, 2018