White House officials are rejecting calls by top Congressional leaders for details about the ongoing drone assassination programs around the world, insisting that calls for oversight “don’t hold water.”
A number of Congressmen and former administration and military officials are complaining that the program is being conduct with virtually no oversight and that the killings have a huge impact on foreign affairs.
The Obama Administration has killed thousands of “suspects,” mostly in Pakistan, since taking over in 2009. The program, conducted by both the CIA and the Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) is only occasionally even publicly acknowledged by officials, and details related to massive civilian casualties are never publicly commented on.
The administration has classified all the details of the program, though it insists it does provide certain details to “appropriate” Congressmen who are members of certain key committees. A number of officials have said they believe the level of secrecy is excessive and designed to avoid scrutiny.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: Saudis Dismembered Journalist While He Was Still Alive, Audio Recording Shows - October 17th, 2018
- Israeli Ambassador to France Slammed for Attempt to Censor News - October 16th, 2018
- Suspects in Journalist's Disappearance Linked to Saudi Crown Prince - October 16th, 2018
- Erdogan: Turkey to Expand Military Operations Against Syrian Kurds - October 16th, 2018
- Koreas Agree to Reconnect Rail, Road Links - October 16th, 2018