The subject of considerable discussion throughout the construction process, al-Jazeera English now has a feature on the seat of America’s “post-occupation” presence in Iraq, the massive, city-sized embassy along the Tigris River bank.
With a massive State Department contingent and a private army of military contractors, the compound will cost billions of dollars annually and will be the most visible American attempt to buy “influence” as well as impose its will on Iraq.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Military's 'Prime Focus' Will Be Competing With Russia, China - January 19th, 2018
- NGO: US-Led Coalition Civilian Killings Tripled in Iraq and Syria in 2017 - January 19th, 2018
- Russia FM: US Creating 'Alternative Bodies of Authority' in Syria - January 19th, 2018
- US: Turkish Attack on Syrian Kurds 'Destabilizing' - January 19th, 2018
- Turkey Escalates Shelling, Says 'No Turning Back' From Syria Invasion - January 19th, 2018