The subject of considerable discussion throughout the construction process, al-Jazeera English now has a feature on the seat of America’s “post-occupation” presence in Iraq, the massive, city-sized embassy along the Tigris River bank.
With a massive State Department contingent and a private army of military contractors, the compound will cost billions of dollars annually and will be the most visible American attempt to buy “influence” as well as impose its will on Iraq.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Doubts US Attack Destroyed Syria's Chemical Weapons Capacity - April 19th, 2018
- Iraq Launches 'Deadly Strikes' Against ISIS Forces Inside Syria - April 19th, 2018
- UN Team's Security Concerns Keep Inspectors Out of Douma - April 19th, 2018
- North Korea No Longer Demands US Troops Be Removed From South Korea - April 19th, 2018
- South Korea Confirms Discussions on Ending 68-Year Korean War - April 18th, 2018