The subject of considerable discussion throughout the construction process, al-Jazeera English now has a feature on the seat of America’s “post-occupation” presence in Iraq, the massive, city-sized embassy along the Tigris River bank.
With a massive State Department contingent and a private army of military contractors, the compound will cost billions of dollars annually and will be the most visible American attempt to buy “influence” as well as impose its will on Iraq.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Foreign ISIS Fighters Left in Raqqa Face 'Certain Death' - October 22nd, 2017
- US-Made Vehicles Led Iraqi Invasion of Kurdish Town - October 22nd, 2017
- Niger Ambush Serves as Excuse for AFRICOM to Seek More Funds - October 22nd, 2017
- Catalan Leaders Vow to Resist Spain's Attempted Takeover - October 22nd, 2017
- Spain Seeks Huge Power Transfer in Trying to Oust Catalan Leadership - October 22nd, 2017