The subject of considerable discussion throughout the construction process, al-Jazeera English now has a feature on the seat of America’s “post-occupation” presence in Iraq, the massive, city-sized embassy along the Tigris River bank.
With a massive State Department contingent and a private army of military contractors, the compound will cost billions of dollars annually and will be the most visible American attempt to buy “influence” as well as impose its will on Iraq.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Al-Qaeda Fighters Kill 22 Syrian Troops Near Idlib - November 16th, 2018
- US Opposes UNGA Resolution Calling on Israel to Return Golan Heights - November 16th, 2018
- US to Accuse Iran of Capacity to Violate Chemical Weapons Ban - November 16th, 2018
- Israel Coalition Falters as Netanyahu Takes Top Positions - November 16th, 2018
- Report: CIA Concludes Saudi Crown Prince Ordered Khashoggi's Murder - November 16th, 2018