The subject of considerable discussion throughout the construction process, al-Jazeera English now has a feature on the seat of America’s “post-occupation” presence in Iraq, the massive, city-sized embassy along the Tigris River bank.
With a massive State Department contingent and a private army of military contractors, the compound will cost billions of dollars annually and will be the most visible American attempt to buy “influence” as well as impose its will on Iraq.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Britain Cuts Aid to Syrian Rebels, Citing Security Woes - August 20th, 2018
- China Defies US Pressure as EU Parts Ways With Iranian Oil - August 20th, 2018
- North Korea Faces Food Crisis, But US Sanctions Are Blocking Aid - August 20th, 2018
- Russia Says Won't Put Weapons in Space First - August 20th, 2018
- Taliban Kidnap Nearly 200 Bus Passengers, Most Freed - August 20th, 2018