According to officials familiar with the situation, a meeting between Libya’s new regime, the NATO-backed National Transitional Council (NTC) and members of the Syrian National Council (SNC) ended with a request for the NTC to send arms to the opposition, and potentially to get involved even more.
“There is something being planned to send weapons and even Libyan fighters to Syria,” one Libyan source said. “There is a military intervention on the way. Within a few weeks you will see.”
Faced with growing international calls for sanctions and even regime change, the Syrian government is fighting a growing battle with its own military defectors, as well as attacking civilian protesters.
Though there has been some talk of a Turkish invasion, few people could have imagined that the new Libyan regime, flush though it is with western subsidies, would be keen to invade. In the end funneling arms may be a simpler process, as the NTC has control of a number of old Gadhafi-era weapons warehouses, and some still haven’t been looted, according to reports.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018