According to officials familiar with the situation, a meeting between Libya’s new regime, the NATO-backed National Transitional Council (NTC) and members of the Syrian National Council (SNC) ended with a request for the NTC to send arms to the opposition, and potentially to get involved even more.
“There is something being planned to send weapons and even Libyan fighters to Syria,” one Libyan source said. “There is a military intervention on the way. Within a few weeks you will see.”
Faced with growing international calls for sanctions and even regime change, the Syrian government is fighting a growing battle with its own military defectors, as well as attacking civilian protesters.
Though there has been some talk of a Turkish invasion, few people could have imagined that the new Libyan regime, flush though it is with western subsidies, would be keen to invade. In the end funneling arms may be a simpler process, as the NTC has control of a number of old Gadhafi-era weapons warehouses, and some still haven’t been looted, according to reports.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Protests Across Middle East Against Trump's Jerusalem Declaration - December 8th, 2017
- Two Dead, Hundreds Wounded in Palestinian 'Day of Rage' - December 8th, 2017
- Israeli Airstrikes Pound Gaza After Rocket Hits Sderot - December 8th, 2017
- White House Again Calls on Saudis to End Yemen Blockade - December 8th, 2017
- US Elite Troop Training Produces Zero Results After Mosul - December 8th, 2017