Can the Arab League still salvage its pact to end the violence in Syria? Over a week after the deal was announced league members are planning an emergency meeting in Cairo in an effort to figure that out.
The pact was supposed to have all Syrian troops and tanks removed from protest cities, and all political prisoners captured since February released. Though the regime has released a small portion of the prisoners, the violence has if anything escalated.
The Arab League initially gave Syria 15 days to implement the reforms they agreed to, and while the deadline won’t pass for another five days there is no indication that the troops are anywhere near leaving the cities.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump: Afghan War Decisions Made - August 19th, 2017
- UN Aid Chief Slams Saudis for Blocking Yemen Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Top US General: Attack on Japan Same as an Attack on US - August 18th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Courts Iraq Alliance, Offering Reconstruction Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Assad Advisor: Syrian War Effectively Over - August 18th, 2017