Libya’s National Transitional Council has begun setting up checkpoints across the city of Tripoli today, following a gunbattle against what locals described as between 50 and 80 fighters carrying the green flag of Gadhafian Libya.
Having raised the flag, the fighters dispersed, but a gunbattle broke out when NTC forces arrived on the scene to remove the flag, and a number of snipers were said to have been involved in firing on the troops.
It was the first major clash in Tripoli in months, excluding those times when rebels from Misrata decided to attack a refugee camp in an effort to force its occupants into slightly worse refugee camps.
It also has the NTC concerned that, despite their constant claims of impending victory, the loyalist forces remain a viable fighting force capable of launching attacks against them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: North Korea Will Release Three Detained Americans - March 18th, 2018
- White House Assembling a Team for Upcoming North Korea Summit - March 16th, 2018
- US Shifts Toward Harsher Stance on Russia With Sanctions and Condemnation - March 16th, 2018
- Putin Furious After Britain Says He Ordered Attack - March 16th, 2018
- Cluster Bombs Reportedly Dropped on Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 16th, 2018