Libya’s National Transitional Council has begun setting up checkpoints across the city of Tripoli today, following a gunbattle against what locals described as between 50 and 80 fighters carrying the green flag of Gadhafian Libya.
Having raised the flag, the fighters dispersed, but a gunbattle broke out when NTC forces arrived on the scene to remove the flag, and a number of snipers were said to have been involved in firing on the troops.
It was the first major clash in Tripoli in months, excluding those times when rebels from Misrata decided to attack a refugee camp in an effort to force its occupants into slightly worse refugee camps.
It also has the NTC concerned that, despite their constant claims of impending victory, the loyalist forces remain a viable fighting force capable of launching attacks against them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018