A pair of US drones against Pakistan’s tribal areas today have killed at least 10 people, reportedly including Jamil Haqqani, a key member of the Haqqani faction. He was killed in the attack in North Waziristan, while another drone targeted South Waziristan.
Though the identities of the other nine victims were not disclosed, Haqqani was said to be a key figure, in his thirties, who was a logistics coordinator for the faction in North Waziristan Agency.
Despite his name, Jamil Haqqani is not a relative of the Haqqani family that actually runs the network. His personal compound in Darpa Khel was the target of the North Waziristan strike.
The attack in South Waziristan targeted another house, and killed six people inside. The Pakistani officials quoted in the media, as usual, termed them “suspects” but did not give any indications of actually what they were suspected of, or which faction they were thought to be a part of.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Backed Kurds Declare ISIS 'Defeated' in Syria - March 23rd, 2019
- US Announces New Sanctions Against Iran, Targeting Former Nuclear Scientists - March 22nd, 2019
- Trump's Golan Heights Move Broadly Condemned Worldwide - March 22nd, 2019
- White House Again Declares Victory Over ISIS, But Fighting Continues - March 22nd, 2019
- Pompeo: 'Possible' God Sent Trump to Be Savior of Israel - March 22nd, 2019