A pair of US drones against Pakistan’s tribal areas today have killed at least 10 people, reportedly including Jamil Haqqani, a key member of the Haqqani faction. He was killed in the attack in North Waziristan, while another drone targeted South Waziristan.
Though the identities of the other nine victims were not disclosed, Haqqani was said to be a key figure, in his thirties, who was a logistics coordinator for the faction in North Waziristan Agency.
Despite his name, Jamil Haqqani is not a relative of the Haqqani family that actually runs the network. His personal compound in Darpa Khel was the target of the North Waziristan strike.
The attack in South Waziristan targeted another house, and killed six people inside. The Pakistani officials quoted in the media, as usual, termed them “suspects” but did not give any indications of actually what they were suspected of, or which faction they were thought to be a part of.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Kills Dozens of Afghan Forces in Attacks on Checkpoints - October 14th, 2018
- Bombing Kills 22 at Afghanistan Election Rally - October 14th, 2018
- Israel to Expand Settlement in Hebron, First Time in 16 Years - October 14th, 2018
- Syria's Al-Qaeda Will Accept Idlib Deal - October 14th, 2018
- South Korea President: North Korea Leader Sincere, Should Be Rewarded - October 14th, 2018