A pair of US drones against Pakistan’s tribal areas today have killed at least 10 people, reportedly including Jamil Haqqani, a key member of the Haqqani faction. He was killed in the attack in North Waziristan, while another drone targeted South Waziristan.
Though the identities of the other nine victims were not disclosed, Haqqani was said to be a key figure, in his thirties, who was a logistics coordinator for the faction in North Waziristan Agency.
Despite his name, Jamil Haqqani is not a relative of the Haqqani family that actually runs the network. His personal compound in Darpa Khel was the target of the North Waziristan strike.
The attack in South Waziristan targeted another house, and killed six people inside. The Pakistani officials quoted in the media, as usual, termed them “suspects” but did not give any indications of actually what they were suspected of, or which faction they were thought to be a part of.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Exodus From Eastern Ghouta as Syrian Army Appears to Near Victory - March 18th, 2018
- Pentagon Defends Keeping Niger Attacks Secret - March 18th, 2018
- Trump Administration Scrambles to Convince Congress Not to Halt Yemen War - March 18th, 2018
- Sen. Corker Predicts Trump Will Withdraw From Iran Deal in May - March 18th, 2018
- May Says Britain Considers More Steps Against Russia in Coming Days - March 18th, 2018