Attacks Hit Three Targets as Surveillance Drone Crash Reported
Residents of the southern Somali port city of Kismayo report that US drones attacked at least three targets. The number of deaths in the attacks were not reported but several explosions were noted.
The attacks were believed to have targeted al-Shabaab targets within the city, as they are the only militant faction operating there. The port is seen as particularly strategically valuable for the insurgents, and a key source of funding.
The attacks come in the wake of a claim that a surveillance drone crashed in Kismayo and was carted off by al-Shabaab. The crash did not cause any casualties.
It was the first major reports of strikes in Kismayo since earlier this month, when an attack on the outskirts of town killed nine civilians, including women and children, and wounded 30 others.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- We Tortured Some Folks: Obama's Glib Admission - August 1st, 2014
- Gaza Ceasefire Collapses, Israel Renews Onslaught: 1,600 Gazans Killed - August 1st, 2014
- Gaza Refugee Influx, Israeli Attacks Overwhelm UN Relief Agency - July 31st, 2014
- Israel, Hamas Agree to 72-Hour Ceasefire: 1,452 Gazans Killed - July 31st, 2014
- White House: Israeli Attack on UN School in Gaza 'Indefensible' - July 31st, 2014