Violence continued today in Syria, with reports having at least five members of the security forces killed, as well as three additional civilian protesters. A large number of injuries were also reported.
This included a number of injured children. As the protests have grown a large number schoolchildren are now taking part, and in several villages reports have local security forces beating the kids along with the rest of the protesters.
As always, all eyes are on the major Friday protests this week, and reports have Syrian troops massing in several major protest cities, including Hama, Homs and Daraa. The protesters say this will not change their plans to demonstrate.
And it would be surprising if it did. For the best several months the regime has been meeting pro-democracy activists with violence, and each attack seems to spawn an even bigger protest in its wake. Though violence clearly isn’t working, officials don’t seem to have figured out any other strategy.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Signs Bill Renewing Warrantless NSA Surveillance - January 19th, 2018
- Catalan Leader Seeks to Vote by Proxy to Avoid Arrest by Spain - January 18th, 2018
- Israeli Army Considers Seizing Palestinian Neighborhoods in Jerusalem - January 18th, 2018
- US Urges Turkey to Focus on ISIS, Not Attack Syrian Kurds - January 18th, 2018
- US to Withhold $45 Million in Pledged Palestinian Food Aid 'For Now' - January 18th, 2018