A pair of suicide bombers targeted the provincial government complex in the city of Ramadi today, killing at least four people including a top leader in the Awakening Council movement, the pro-US Sunni militia.
The other three slain included a civilian and two police officers. Fifteen other police were reported injured when gunmen attacked the compound in the wake of the bombings.
Incredibly, the attack was praised by one of the provincial council members, who said it was probably al-Qaeda in Iraq (AQI) that was to blame, and that this vindicated the Sunni-dominated province, proving they are “on the right path.”
The attack is the latest in a number of strikes against targets in and around Ramadi in recent months. Several top officials were in Ramadi over the weekend to discuss the deteriorating security situation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Fighters Attack Afghan Base, Kill at Least 26 Soldiers - July 26th, 2017
- Taliban Awash in US Arms, Vehicles, Complicate Afghan War - July 25th, 2017
- Blockading States Expand Qatar 'Terror' Blacklist - July 25th, 2017
- US SOCOM Chief Claims 60,000 to 70,000 ISIS Fighters Killed so Far - July 25th, 2017
- Trump Pledges Support for Lebanon's Anti-ISIS Push - July 25th, 2017