NATO has confirmed today that they have stopped all detainee transfers to the Afghan government this week, citing concerns that the detainees would be tortured in Afghan government custody.
The move comes following human rights investigations by the United Nations, which has yet to actually be made public. NATO was briefed on its contents early, however, and told they found evidence of “systematic torture” at five Afghan detention centers, as well as the National Security directorate and two jails.
NATO officials say that the halt of the transfers will be done until they can “verify” the UN claims. The discovery of the torture was termed a “major setback” for the decade-long NATO occupation.
The Afghan government was also reportedly told of the problems, but there has been no indication so far that they have responded or intend to respond. Given NATO’s own history of detainee mistreatment, it could be an extremely difficult issue for them to tackle properly.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018