Reports in the Daily Telegraph reveal that the Obama Administration is close to signing a deal with Afghanistan that would ensure US troops, including special forces, would remain on the ground in the nation through at least 2024. Opponents in the Afghan government warn the deal threatens to derail Taliban peace talks, which are always predicated on a NATO withdrawal.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Halts Aid Into Northern Syria, Citing Islamist Gains - December 10th, 2013
- Senate Hawks Push Iran Sanctions, But Delay Likely - December 10th, 2013
- Military Budget Deal Skips Sequestration, Erases $22 Billion in Cuts - December 10th, 2013
- Israelis, Palestinians Agree: Peace Talks Not Accomplishing Anything - December 10th, 2013
- Syrian Activists, Including Key Lawyer, Kidnapped by Suspected Islamists Near Damascus - December 10th, 2013