According to reports from Syrian dissidents, the FBI is conducting an investigation into claims that the Syrian government is behind efforts to intimidate critics of the regime inside the United States.
Though the FBI declined to confirm the investigation, Syrians say they have been questioned by the bureau about whether or not they had been contacted and who they thought might be behind it.
Three dissidents who met with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton earlier this month claimed to have received death threats and that the Syrian state media aired photographs of them and condemned them as “traitors.”
The US summoned the Syrian ambassador last month over claims that his aides were filming protesters in an effort to “intimidate” them. Though it seems par for the course for the regime it, like so many other efforts, seems to be failing, as public condemnation of them is only growing.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Abbas: After 20 Meetings I Still Don't Understand Trump's Peace Plan - August 20th, 2017
- Lebanon's Army Advances Deep Into ISIS-Held Border Territory - August 20th, 2017
- North Korea Warns of Nuclear War If 'Reckless' US Drill Leads to Actual Fighting - August 20th, 2017
- Iraq PM Announces Invasion of Tal Afar, Sparking New Refugee Exodus - August 20th, 2017
- Trump to Announce New Afghan War Strategy Monday Night - August 20th, 2017