The focus of the massive Norway terrorist attack has shifted from outrage at the presumptive Muslims behind the strike to the very non-Muslim attacker Anders Behring Breivik who actually carried it out.
Breivik has been quick to admit to the shootings but insists he isn’t criminally responsible for them: they were “necessary” to see his political agenda, a fairly straightforward anti-Muslim sort of jingoism, carried out.
His apparently lukewarm religious fervor didn’t stop him from releasing a voluminous manifesto about the need for a “crusade” against Muslims. But interestingly enough, he heavily plagiarized this manifesto from the Unabomber, in some places just swapping out the word “leftism” for “multiculturalism,” his own particular bogeyman.
Breivik is expected to testify Monday regarding the killings. Given his statements up to this point, the comments are likely to continue in the vein of defiant pride over the attacks, and advocacy of “martyrdom” for Christian conservatives.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudis Say 88 Houthis Killed Saturday Across Yemen - February 17th, 2019
- Yemen Factions Agree on First Pullback From Hodeidah Port Area - February 17th, 2019
- Taliban Attack Kills All 32 Afghan Troops at Border Post - February 17th, 2019
- Kurdish Commander: Anti-ISIS Offensive Slowed by Presence of Civilians - February 15th, 2019
- US Military Aircraft to Deliver Aid to Venezuela's Border - February 15th, 2019