The focus of the massive Norway terrorist attack has shifted from outrage at the presumptive Muslims behind the strike to the very non-Muslim attacker Anders Behring Breivik who actually carried it out.
Breivik has been quick to admit to the shootings but insists he isn’t criminally responsible for them: they were “necessary” to see his political agenda, a fairly straightforward anti-Muslim sort of jingoism, carried out.
His apparently lukewarm religious fervor didn’t stop him from releasing a voluminous manifesto about the need for a “crusade” against Muslims. But interestingly enough, he heavily plagiarized this manifesto from the Unabomber, in some places just swapping out the word “leftism” for “multiculturalism,” his own particular bogeyman.
Breivik is expected to testify Monday regarding the killings. Given his statements up to this point, the comments are likely to continue in the vein of defiant pride over the attacks, and advocacy of “martyrdom” for Christian conservatives.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Kills Over 60 Syrian Troops in 48 Hours of Attacks - April 20th, 2019
- US Intel Doubts North Korea Weapons Test Was Successful - April 19th, 2019
- Ecuador Judge Orders Detention of Former Foreign Minister Connected to Assange - April 19th, 2019
- US Reveals Support for Former CIA Asset Hafter in Libya - April 19th, 2019
- Pompeo Dismisses North Korea Demands, Says He Can't Be Removed From Talks - April 19th, 2019