Rep. Peter King (R – NY) has called today for a third round of “hearings” probing whether American Muslims are becoming “radicalized.” The new hearings will center on Somali-Americans, and the Somali militant faction al-Shabaab.
Conveniently coming just a day after US officials started presenting new claims that al-Shabaab is secretly in league with al-Qaeda, the hearings will probe if Somali-Americans are being recruited by the group and are a “growing threat to our homeland security.”
Rep. King has been pushing the hearings all year, claiming that America’s Muslim minority poses a threat to the country. The move has sparked serious concern that it will fuel yet more discrimination against Muslims.
Though King insisted that the hearings would be “fair,” he has also insisted that the United States has “too many mosques” and repeatedly presented Muslims in general as a threat to national security.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Led Airstrikes Killed 472 Civilians in Syria in the Past Month - June 23rd, 2017
- US Narrows Counter-Extremism Program to Focus on Islamists - June 23rd, 2017
- Senator: US Strikes on Syrian Forces 'Unlawful' - June 23rd, 2017
- Kurds Warn Turkey's Buildup in North Syria Threatens Raqqa Invasion - June 23rd, 2017
- Senators Seek Clarification on US Role in Yemen Torture - June 23rd, 2017