Rep. Peter King (R – NY) has called today for a third round of “hearings” probing whether American Muslims are becoming “radicalized.” The new hearings will center on Somali-Americans, and the Somali militant faction al-Shabaab.
Conveniently coming just a day after US officials started presenting new claims that al-Shabaab is secretly in league with al-Qaeda, the hearings will probe if Somali-Americans are being recruited by the group and are a “growing threat to our homeland security.”
Rep. King has been pushing the hearings all year, claiming that America’s Muslim minority poses a threat to the country. The move has sparked serious concern that it will fuel yet more discrimination against Muslims.
Though King insisted that the hearings would be “fair,” he has also insisted that the United States has “too many mosques” and repeatedly presented Muslims in general as a threat to national security.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Kurds Warn Turkey's Threats Are a 'Declaration of War' - December 14th, 2018
- US-Backed Kurdish Forces Seize ISIS Town in Eastern Syria - December 14th, 2018
- Pompeo Downplays White House Differences With Senate on Saudi Arabia - December 14th, 2018
- US, South Korea Fail to Agree on Cost-Sharing for Military Deployment - December 14th, 2018
- Yemen Clashes Threaten Ceasefire in Hodeidah - December 14th, 2018