Rep. Peter King (R – NY) has called today for a third round of “hearings” probing whether American Muslims are becoming “radicalized.” The new hearings will center on Somali-Americans, and the Somali militant faction al-Shabaab.
Conveniently coming just a day after US officials started presenting new claims that al-Shabaab is secretly in league with al-Qaeda, the hearings will probe if Somali-Americans are being recruited by the group and are a “growing threat to our homeland security.”
Rep. King has been pushing the hearings all year, claiming that America’s Muslim minority poses a threat to the country. The move has sparked serious concern that it will fuel yet more discrimination against Muslims.
Though King insisted that the hearings would be “fair,” he has also insisted that the United States has “too many mosques” and repeatedly presented Muslims in general as a threat to national security.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- NATO Warns Russian Missile Might Violate Missile Treaty - December 15th, 2017
- US Allegations of Iran Missiles in Yemen Met With Skepticism - December 15th, 2017
- Mattis: North Korean Missiles Not a 'Capable Threat' Against US - December 15th, 2017
- Israeli Troops Kill Four Palestinians, Wound 160 at Friday Protests - December 15th, 2017
- Trump Allies: Tillerson Hasn't Learned His Lesson - December 15th, 2017