Yemeni officials claim that the portions of the military still loyal to the Saleh regime have made “progress” in attacking the southwestern town on Zinjibar. They provided no information, however, about how soon they expected to reclaim it.
Indications are, however, that fighting continued Monday, after clashes over the weekend left at least 27 combatants slain and an unknown number of others wounded. The exact casualty tolls for Monday were unclear.
Zinjibar has been outside of regime control since last month, when the escalating civil war between tribes and regime forces in the capital was exploited by an unrelated Islamist faction, which the government says is affiliated with al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.
Since the town fell, other neighboring towns also fell to the faction, prompting a large number of US drone strikes in the area. The claims of AQAP affiliation have yet to be verified, and opposition figures have accused the Saleh government of making this up in an attempt to curry more support from the US.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Coalition to Open Humanitarian Corridors Out of Yemen's Hodeidah Port - September 24th, 2018
- Trump Expects Announcement of Second Summit With North Korea 'Pretty Soon' - September 24th, 2018
- US Troops Will Remain in Syria, Officials Say - September 24th, 2018
- Bolton Slams Russia, Says S-300 Sale in Syria Is 'Significant Escalation' - September 24th, 2018
- Russia Will Provide S-300 Air Defense to Syria - September 24th, 2018