Two weeks ago it was Admiral Mullen. Last week it was Sen. Kerry (D – MA). This weekend, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton tried her hands at “improving” the increasingly strained relationship with Pakistan. Once again, it has ended the same.
Instead of reconciliation, Secretary Clinton’s visit was full of warnings and demands, She noted that US and Pakistani relations are at a “critical point,” then proceded to demand “decisive steps” from the Zardari government.
Which, as with all steps the Obama Administration is keen on, means killing people. According to US and Pakistani officials, Secretary Clinton delivered a “list” of people that the Obama Administration wants the Zardari government to immediately attack.
The list’s contents were unsurprising, and included the same people officials are constantly on about. The fact that the list was delivered in the wake of growing concerns that the US is being too demanding toward its allies in Pakistan, however, suggests that the Obama Administration simply doesn’t appreciate how the tense relationship has gotten so bad.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Over 170 Casualties in Afghan Election Attacks - October 20th, 2018
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018