Two weeks ago it was Admiral Mullen. Last week it was Sen. Kerry (D – MA). This weekend, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton tried her hands at “improving” the increasingly strained relationship with Pakistan. Once again, it has ended the same.
Instead of reconciliation, Secretary Clinton’s visit was full of warnings and demands, She noted that US and Pakistani relations are at a “critical point,” then proceded to demand “decisive steps” from the Zardari government.
Which, as with all steps the Obama Administration is keen on, means killing people. According to US and Pakistani officials, Secretary Clinton delivered a “list” of people that the Obama Administration wants the Zardari government to immediately attack.
The list’s contents were unsurprising, and included the same people officials are constantly on about. The fact that the list was delivered in the wake of growing concerns that the US is being too demanding toward its allies in Pakistan, however, suggests that the Obama Administration simply doesn’t appreciate how the tense relationship has gotten so bad.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Army Makes Major Gains in Eastern Ghouta - March 23rd, 2018
- Kurdish Rebels Flee Iraq Border Area, Anticipating Turkish Attack - March 23rd, 2018
- Trump Signs New Bill Slashing Aid to Palestinians - March 23rd, 2018
- Russia Intends to Substantially Cut Military Spending Over Next Five Years - March 23rd, 2018
- Majority of $1.3 Trillion US Omnibus Spending Bill Goes to Military - March 23rd, 2018