Blast Targeted Govt Buildings, Nearby Police Station
A suicide bomber rammed a pickup truck full of explosives into an area full of government buildings today in Hangu, killing at least 32 people and wounding over 60 others according to security officials.
The truck actually hit the main headquarters of the Communications and Works Department, which was next door to a district police station and the courthouse. At least 10 of the slain were reported to have been police.
In addition to damaging a number of government buildings, police say that the strike also damaged at least 15 shops. A number of the wounded were civilians at a restaurant. The Tehreek-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP) reportedly took credit for the attack.
The strike is expected to fuel even more discontent toward Pakistan’s military, which is already under increased criticism for its failure to prevent unilateral US raids into its territory. It seems no more able to defend against attacks from internal factions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Blowback: Attack on Canadian Parliament Leaves Ottawa Stunned - October 22nd, 2014
- More Troops, More Arms: Iraq Pushes US to Expand ISIS War - October 22nd, 2014
- Report: 25 ISIS Killed in US Airstrikes in Central Iraq - October 22nd, 2014
- Livni, Lapid Combine Blocs to Push Israel Back Into Peace Talks - October 22nd, 2014
- Libyan Parliament Pairs Up With Gen. Hifter: Attack Planned on Tripoli - October 22nd, 2014