The latest in a number of serious incidents in the increasingly unstable Iraq, two US soldiers were killed during “operations” in central Iraq. The military provided no additional details so far as to how they were killed.
This wasn’t the only incident, however, as a number of bombings across Baghdad targeted security forces, leaving at least nine police killed. A total of 20 were reported killed in the Baghdad strikes and elsewhere nearby
The attack came just days after a coordinated bombing targeted the police headquarters in the northern city of Kirkuk. The attack killed at least 30 people, including a large number of police, and wounded 90 others.
The recent incidents seem to be more direct in concentrating on security forces rather than simply random strikes on Shi’ites aimed at stirring up sectarian anger. Whether this is a coincidence or points to a shift in insurgent policy remains to be seen.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018