The latest in a number of serious incidents in the increasingly unstable Iraq, two US soldiers were killed during “operations” in central Iraq. The military provided no additional details so far as to how they were killed.
This wasn’t the only incident, however, as a number of bombings across Baghdad targeted security forces, leaving at least nine police killed. A total of 20 were reported killed in the Baghdad strikes and elsewhere nearby
The attack came just days after a coordinated bombing targeted the police headquarters in the northern city of Kirkuk. The attack killed at least 30 people, including a large number of police, and wounded 90 others.
The recent incidents seem to be more direct in concentrating on security forces rather than simply random strikes on Shi’ites aimed at stirring up sectarian anger. Whether this is a coincidence or points to a shift in insurgent policy remains to be seen.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraqi Oil Ministry Warns World Against Making Oil Deals With Kurds - October 19th, 2017
- CIA Chief: North Korea on Cusp of Ability to Hit US With Nukes - October 19th, 2017
- Spain to Revoke Catalan Autonomy on Saturday - October 19th, 2017
- Taliban Destroys Afghan Army Base in Kandahar - October 19th, 2017
- Germany Suspends Training for Iraqi Kurdish Troops - October 18th, 2017