Reports coming out of the island nation of Bahrain indicate that, as the latest effort by the regime to curb dissent are demands that students sign loyalty pledges as a condition of attending college.
The University of Bahrain in Sakhir has distributed pledges to every student on Sunday, demanding them to sign a statement vowing loyalty to the Sunni monarch. The pledge adds “I acknowledge that not signing this document means I do not wish to continue my education un the University of Bahrain.”
Reports suggest that the university also suspended a large number of students for either participating in demonstrations against the regime or for expressing support for the protests on Facebook.
Bahrain saw protests involving a significant portion of its population, with the Shi’ite majority demanding equal rights and free elections. The GCC invaded the nation to help the Bahraini royal family put down the protests.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Military's 'Prime Focus' Will Be Competing With Russia, China - January 19th, 2018
- NGO: US-Led Coalition Civilian Killings Tripled in Iraq and Syria in 2017 - January 19th, 2018
- Russia FM: US Creating 'Alternative Bodies of Authority' in Syria - January 19th, 2018
- US: Turkish Attack on Syrian Kurds 'Destabilizing' - January 19th, 2018
- Turkey Escalates Shelling, Says 'No Turning Back' From Syria Invasion - January 19th, 2018