In comments made on Thursday, Libyan government spokesman Mussa Ibrahim revealed that the Gadhafi regime has been arming civilians around their controlled areas in preparations for resisting a NATO ground invasion.
“Many cities have organized themselves into squads to fight any possible NATO invasion,” Ibrahim revealed, adding that if NATO invaded “we will make it 10 times as bad as Iraq.”
While NATO members have been pushing for the escalation of the war, it does not appear a ground invasion is impending. The UN resolution which NATO used as a pretext for the war explicitly forbids ground troops from occupying Libyan territory.
At the same time, a separate UN effort to provide humanitarian relief is underway. The European Union is said to be considering 1,000 ground troops for Libya as part of this UN plan.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Chief Wants Fighters Placed Under National Army - December 14th, 2017
- US Troops, Syrian Rebels Battle ISIS Near Key Base - December 14th, 2017
- US Will Preposition Jet Fuel in Algeria, Niger to Expand Drone Wars - December 14th, 2017
- US Warplanes Fire Warning Flares at Russian Jets Over Syria - December 14th, 2017
- Iran: US Presentation of Iranian Arms in Yemen Fabricated - December 14th, 2017