Israeli officials insisted that four of the slain were all “field commanders” for a militant group, but the other four have been confirmed to be civilians, including two children who were playing soccer at the time.
The strikes destroyed one family’s home and also hit the nearby soccer field. Israel promised an “inquiry” into the killings but insisted that they were within their rights to launch the attack.
The killings have escalated tensions between the two sides, which have been trading fire over the past several days, and the Hamas government in the Gaza Strip promised to get revenge for today’s killings.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Suicide Bombers Hit Afghan Shi'ite Mosques, Killing 72 - October 20th, 2017
- Israeli Tanks Attack Syrian Army Post Over Errant Mortar Fire - October 19th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Holding Foreign ISIS Leaders - October 19th, 2017
- ISIS Seizes Villages South of Kirkuk as Iraq Focuses on Kurds - October 19th, 2017
- Pentagon Opens Niger Ambush Probe, Seeking Details on What Happened - October 19th, 2017