Israeli officials insisted that four of the slain were all “field commanders” for a militant group, but the other four have been confirmed to be civilians, including two children who were playing soccer at the time.
The strikes destroyed one family’s home and also hit the nearby soccer field. Israel promised an “inquiry” into the killings but insisted that they were within their rights to launch the attack.
The killings have escalated tensions between the two sides, which have been trading fire over the past several days, and the Hamas government in the Gaza Strip promised to get revenge for today’s killings.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Claims ISIS 'Rebuilding' in Syria as Turkey Invasion Distracts From Fight - March 19th, 2018
- Turkey's Erdogan Vows Wider Offensive Against US-Backed Syrian Kurds - March 19th, 2018
- Russia Demands British Apology as EU, NATO Express Solidarity With Britain - March 19th, 2018
- Trump, Kim Summit Likely to Be Held in DMZ Village - March 19th, 2018
- Afghan Special Forces Slaughter Farmers in Chaotic Errant Attack - March 19th, 2018