With a broad collection of leaked files revealing the Palestinian Authority’s massive offers of concessions, including virtually all of occupied East Jerusalem, in past negoitations to Israel, PA officials are facing growing questions, and responding with complete denials.
Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat insisted the 1,600 documents were “a bunch of lies,” and that someone was intentionally leaking them to embarrass the PA. Others accused Qatar of being behind the leak.
By and large Palestinians are outraged at the leaks, and considered the offers unacceptable. Those who bought into the notion that the documents were a lie responded by attacking al-Jazeera’s office in Ramallah.
The indications from most familiar with the talks, however, said that the content of the leaks was accurate. Israeli officials even insisted the leaks vindicated their claims over East Jerusalem, which is an odd position to take since they refused the PA offer that would have conceded it (and much of the West Bank) to them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudis Demolish Historic Shi'ite Neighborhood, Sparking Unrest - June 27th, 2017
- Turkey, Kurdish Forces Trade Fire in North Syria's Afrin District - June 27th, 2017
- Mattis: US Will Keep Arming Syrian Kurds After Raqqa Falls - June 27th, 2017
- Russia: US Warning to Syria Is Unacceptable - June 27th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Insists Qatar Demands Are 'Non-Negotiable' - June 27th, 2017